• 1 cup sugar
• 1 cup fresh basil leaves, plus extra basil for garnish
• 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (or lemon juice from concentrate)
• 6 cups water for lemonade (+1 1/2 cups to make syrup)
1. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, bring sugar and 1 1/2 cups cold water to a simmer.
2. Cook until sugar dissolves (DO NOT STIR), and the mixture thickens (about 5 minutes).
3. Remove from heat, add basil, and let cool to room temperature.
4. Strain syrup into re-sealable container and discard the basil. Refrigerate syrup until chilled.
5. In a 2-quart pitcher, mix water, lemon juice and syrup.
Serve over ice, and add a sprig of fresh basil to each glass